Search This Blog

Thursday 1 January 2015

My favourite music 2014

The music year 2014 has been good, but not outstanding. This made it especially difficult to range my favourite 15, since all of them were of similar quality according to my ears. I've listened to a lot of good artists, some new acquaintances, some childhood friends. I've been delighted, surprised and disappointed. In the end, 56 albums fought for a place on the top 15 list. Common for all the artists are:
1. They've released an album in 2014
2. I like them

In alphabetical order (One is a librarian, after all!): The Acid, Damon Albarn, Craig Armstrong, Basement Jaxx, Bombay Bicycle Club, Julian Casablancas and the Voidz, Dum Dum Girls, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Sharon van Etten, Bryan Ferry, First Aid Kit, Foster the People, Francois & the Atlas Mountains, French for Rabbits, Ed Harcourt, Hooray for Earth, Horrors, Howling Bells, I Break Horses, iamamiwhoami, Joan as Policewoman, Damien Jurado, Kaiser Chiefs, Kent, Klaxons, Daniel Lanois, Little Dragon, Lykke Li, Johnny Marr, Scott Matthews, Eugene McGuinness, Sarah McLachlan, Merchandise, Metronomy, Ingrid Michaelson, Milagres, My Autumn Empire, New Build, Paolo Nutini, Peggy Sue, Real Estate, Royal Blood, Røyksopp, Simian Mobile Disco, Simple Minds, Snowbird, St. Vincent, Angus & Julia Stone, Temples, Todd Terje, U2, The War On Drugs, Warpaint, Wild Beasts, Wye Oak, Young Fathers.

Problem is, I liked most of these - with a couple of exceptions. If I were to write this list in a month or two, it probably would be different. Some of these I've listened a lot to, others, not enough, which clearly affects my rating. But here goes:

15. Røyksopp (N): The Inevitable End
I love Røyksopp, not just because they're a local band, but because their electronica is simply brilliant. Their live shows are amazing as well! This album is not as fresh and fabulous as Junior, but slightly quieter, exhuming a sense of beautiful hopelessness. (In a good way!) Their collaboration with Susanne Sundfør has proven to be very successful, and her voice really suits the atmosphere of the album. (Not so sure about Robyn, this time.)
Fave songs:
Skulls
*Running to the Sea
Sordid Affair

14. Foster The People (US): Supermodel
In 2011 I rated their debut Torches as the third best album I heard that year. Supermodel isn't quite as good, but still contains some brilliant songs. They have managed to find a unique sound amongst the thousands of other bands trying to break through. What they do well is simply creating good songs, often up-tempo pop which somehow appeals across ages. I think. Or is it just me?
Fave songs:
*Pseudologia Fantastica
Are you what you want to be
Best Friends

13. Temples (UK): Sun Structures
Temples is a new band to me, but they sound very familiar, placing themselves in a long tradition of British psychedelica, from Beatles to Primal Scream. When I say they sound familiar, it is because their songs are really catchy. I don't know if it is an album you can listen to forever, but at the moment I truly enjoy these pop songs.
Fave songs:
Shelter Song
*Mesmerise
The Guesser
 

12. Francois & The Atlas Mountains (F): Piano Ombre
Another new acquaintance to me, and absolutely worth listening to. Most songs are in French, but since I've never been one to care about the lyrics, what language they sing in is irrelevant to me. Having said that - the couple of songs in English would have been so much better if a)they were in French or b)the singer could pronounce English words. But as I said - minor detail:) I know the French has a horrible reputation when it comes to pop music, but there are actually quite a few decent bands out there, this being one of them. Don't know quite how to describe their music, other than indie piano pop with a slightly sad sound.
Fave songs:
La Vérité
*La Fille aux Cheveux de Soie
Piano Ombre

11. Iamamiwhoami (S): Blue 
Third album from the Swedish electronica band with the impossible name. I've been following their releases since the "hit" single Goods in 2012. This is Nordic electronica with musical similarities to for instance Røyksopp. The band stands out because of singer Jonna Lee's distinct voice and their sometimes quirky (don't know if that is the best word) melodies in combination with their synth-based sound.
Fave songs:
*Hunting for pearls
Chasing Kites
Shadowshow  

10. The Acid (UK/US): Liminal
Now, this is not exactly mainstream electronica, but strangely enough it's difficult not to be drawn into their dark, industrial world. I know absolutely nothing about them, other than that one of them is a British DJ and producer. Not radio friendly music, but the kind of album you listen to alone late at night.
Fave songs:
*Creeper
Ghost
Basic Instinct

9. Joan as Policewoman(US): The Classic
I took some time to decide whether I like the singer Joan Wasser's voice or not. The song Holy City did the trick, and I ended up playing the song repeatedly. It's a great song to listen to when walking or cleaning the house! Her music moves between genres, from pop, rock, jazz and soul.
Fave songs:
*Holy City
Shame
Stay

8. Kaiser Chiefs: Education, Education, Education and War
I haven't listen a lot to Kaiser Chiefs, but have registered that they play catchy pop rock tunes with a "military" sound. I'm now thinking that I should perhaps give their older stuff a chance if it's similar to this, their fifth album. Maybe they just caught me at the right moment after I'd been listening to a lot of dream pop/electronica and my head was ready for some straight rock 'n' pop with real guitars and all:) (They've even played my home town, but unfortunately I was away then.) I find Education  to be a fine and solid album packed with good songs. Good job, guys. You got yourself a new fan!
Fave songs:
Misery Company
*Meanwhile up in Heaven
My Life

7. Damien Jurado (US): Brothers and Sisters of the Eternal Son
Over to some Americana (but in a good way)! When going through all the 50+ albums I've listened to this year, something that struck me was the many artists of the singer/songwriter genre. I keep telling people I'm an electronica girl (middle aged lady!), but it seems I'm returning to my younger taste in music, i.e. folk, indie rock etc. Perhaps. Jurado is new to me, and reminds me quite a lot of Scott Matthews in his singing style and his melancholic songs. (Who also released a very good album in 2014, but didn't make it to the top 15. I still recommend it!) Another late evening album to listen to when the world ouside is quiet and has gone to bed:)
Fave songs:
Jericho Road
Silver Katherine
*Magic Number


6. Simple Minds (UK): Big Music
Now, I really didn't see this one coming. Who'd believe that Simple Minds was still alive &kicking and could create their best album since 1983? Not me! I hadn't even planned to give it a listen, because I thought it would just be embarrassing. But here they go and surprise me! Never take anything for granted, I say! This album is clearly Simple Minds, with all the right elements from the 80s and a dash of 2014 to give it a contemporary and electronic sound. And it works. And must be played loud. It's like meeting someone you used to have a crush on again after 30 years, finding they're still cute and charming, but with added life experience, which makes them as attractive now as in 1983. I'm so happy for them:)
Fave songs:
*Let the day begin
Imagination
Broken glass park

5. Dum Dum Girls (US): Too true
A lot can be said about American girl pop bands, and not necessarily good things, but Dum Dum Girls manages to steer away from the cliches with their pure pop music. In the early 1990s Lush was one of my favourite bands, and that's the band I find it easiest to compare Dum Dum Girls to. I've listened quite a lot to some of their songs and still find them appealing, which is a good sign.
Fave songs:
Rimbaud Eyes
Too True to be Good
*Under These Hands

4. Metronomy (UK): Love Letters
Another band that has featured on my lists earlier. (Seventh best song in 2011). Then, I found the full album too uninteresting to make it to my album list. This time they've made a much better album with great variation. I can understand that not everyone likes the singer's voice, but it somehow works so well with the music it couldn't really be any different. Musically, this is pop/melodious electronica with a sense of carelessness and melancholia. If that was a helpful description at all:) (Probably not!)
Fave songs:
*Monstrous
Month of Sundays
Reservoir

3. Bryan Ferry UK): Avonmore.
At number three, we find one of my childhood "heroes". I was 13 in 1982, when Roxy Music's Avalon was released, and it was love at first hearing. It was one of the first 5 cassettes (!) I bought with my own money. (I remember this because I used to number them ...) I've bought quite a few of Ferry's solo albums since then, and this is by far the best. (Or is it just me getting nostalgic?) There are clear references to Avalon in the sound of Avonmore. (Not just in the name.) There are two cover songs, one is Send in the Clowns - quite beautiful, and one by Robert Palmer, Johnny and Mary, which is a collaboration with Norwegian electronica favourite, Todd Terje.
Fave songs:
Loop de Li
Driving me Wild
*Send in the Clowns

2. Snowbird UK): Moon
What can go wrong when former Cocteau Twin, Simon Raymonde, decides to release an album? Nothing, according to me, and I'm still debating whether or not this should hold the number 1 spot. We don't get Elizabeth Fraser's heavenly voice, but Snowbird's Stephanie Dosen is not far behind. She sounds very Cocteau Twins! This is superb atmospheric dream pop. No more words needed!
Fave songs:
I Heard the Owl Call my Name
*Bears on my Trail
In Lovely


1. I Break Horses (S): Chiaroscuro
There's no doubt about it: The Swedes make good pop music! Not that this is mainstream pop, more electronica/dream pop. Their soundscape is darkish and industrial, but soft and dreamy at the same time. Each song has it's own identity, which in the end made me decide to put it in the top spot. I get easily bored when listening to an album where less than half of the songs stand out. In this case, all 9 is worth listening to. Warning: not music to make you happy!
Fave songs:
Denial
Faith
*Medicine Brush

So that's it for now. Almost. I've made a Top 15 Spotify list and a longer Favourite Songs Spotify list if you're interested.

Some artists deserve special mention even if they didn't make it to my list.
Ed Harcourt released a mini-album, Time of Dust, containting 6 beautiful songs. If this had been a proper full length alum, it would have been among my top 5.

Craig Armstrong released the album It's Nearly Tomorrow. I didn't include it in my list, because I havent't had time to listen to it properly. It sounds like a soundtrack to a dark and wonderful film. (Armstrong's Ruthless Gravity is the "theme song" to Tromsø International Film Festival, and is played before the start of every film, which means every time I hear it I'm put in film mode.) This album is sad and beautiful and perfect for solitary late evenings and makes me feel romantic and lyrical and lost and desperate at the same time.

U2 changed my life in 1984, when Unforgettable Fire was released. Since then I've been a more or less faithful fan. But persons change, and bands change, and their music no longer reaches me as it used to. The band and their 2014 album, Songs of Innocence, seems to have become everyone's favourite hate object, which is just plain stupid! Even if their songs don't appeal to me as much as they used to, Bono's voice is still one of the best in the business. And if Simple Minds can come back with a great album after 30 years, there's still hope for U2:)

Finally, here are some songs that stood out on otherwise not too interesting albums:
Royal Blood: Figure it out (Probably the best single of 2014!)
Young Fathers: Get up
Paolo Nutini: Scream (Funk my life up)
Sophie Ellis-Bextor: Birth of an Empire (Her collaboration with Ed Harcourt is more than noticeable!)
Sharon van Etten: Taking Chances
Wild Beasts: Wanderlust





No comments: