Search This Blog

Monday 5 January 2015

Books 2014: British History for Dummies

I mentioned before my opinion on the 'For Dummies' books. It seems their main audience is children. And perhaps it is. But I do have a couple of them at home. And this one about British history was actually quite fun to read. Having studied English at University when I was young, I really ought to know more about British history than I do. But I tend to forget too much, and can never remember the correct order of all the Henrys and Richards etc. So this summer I actually started reading this book. My idea is that if I just read enough history books, I will learn something eventually. And hopefully remember it.

Anyway. The book takes us from the Stone Age to modern times in less than 400 pages. That is quite an achievement. And I truly understand the need to cut away all the details. What is left is the interesting and entertaining bits. Next time, I'll read a proper history book.  Possibly. Maybe.



Lang, Sean (2004): British History for Dummies. 3.ed. Chichester: John Wiley.

No comments: