Search This Blog

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Books 2013: In the Family

The first book I finished this year was the crime novel In the Family by Christina James. Now, normally I don't read crime fiction. I simply don't like the suspense. And I certainly don't like reading about violence and horrible actions. But every now and then I give in to peer presssure. This time, the reason was simply that I've met the author. Which actually makes it much harder to write about. You can't praise it too much, as this might be seen as pure flattering. And you can't be too critical for fear of hurting their feelings. Fortunately, in this case, the latter wasn't a problem.

The novel starts a bit slow. It took some time before I got hooked on the story. Which is perhaps it's biggest weakness. Her editor could have done a better job here. But once the story finds it's form, it works very well. James writes in an almost cinematic way. I can clearly envisage the television series about DI Tim Yates. In this first novel about him, he digs into the secrets of a family, solving more than one murder on his way. What I like is the way James concentrated on painting portraits of her main characters, instead of focusing on the bloody horrors of crime. In other words, entertaining crime that doesn't give you nightmares.

James, Christina (2012): In the Family. Cromer: Salt Publishing.

No comments: