Search This Blog

Sunday 8 December 2013

Books 2013: Revenge wears Prada

My beach novel this year was Revenge wears Prada. I was looking for something very easy and light to read and simply stumbled across this sequel to The Devil wears Prada. I seem to remember that the first book wasn't too bad. I might be wrong. In this chapter of Andrea Sachs' life, (sorry, spoiler alert!) she has founded her own sucessful magazine, met the man of her dreams, gets married, has a baby. The things one tends to do with one's life in this kind of novels. There is actually quite a lot of things happening in this book, and plenty of stuff to make it exciting. The problem is that the author doesn't manage to seduce the reader one bit. It is utterly boring, and I was at times amazed that she managed to get so little out of so much. The tough and smart woman from the first book has become insecure and silly, verging on 50-Shades-Anastasia Steel-stupid. As a sequel it is truly unnesessary. The subtitle is "The Devil Returns", which makes me wonder who's return this book is most about. Miranda Priestly doesn't figure prominently here. Not really. So it's really Andrea's return we're talking about, I'd say. So is she the devil, then? (No, of course not!) But perhaps the film will be better? (Doubt it ...)


Weisberger, Lauren (2013): Revenge wears Prada. HarperCollins.

No comments: