Search This Blog

Monday 4 August 2014

Books 2014: The Betrothed

Sometimes, when I have nothing else to read, I read some Walter Scott. Not because his novels are better than anyhting else, but because I once bought all of them for my Kindle.

This summer, I read The Bethroded. The previous novel I read was The Antiquary, which I must admit was a bit of a struggle, because I found the story little rewarding. The Bethroded is a much more straight forward story with medieval knights and crusaders and kidnapping and wars and love in the 12th century somewhere along the Welsh/British border region.

The 16-year old heroine, Eveline, is to be married to Sir Hugo, but he goes away on a crusade and asks his young nephew, Damian, to look after Eveline. You don't need too much of an imaginative mind to see where this leads. After various trouble and hindrances and deceit, it all ends happily for the heroine. As it should. 


Scott, Walter(1825): The Bethroded. Kindle edition

No comments: