Search This Blog

Friday 27 April 2012

David Hockney!

Would have liked to meet Hockney. Or perhaps not. Would probably not know what to say to him. Not being an art person myself, I mean. But I'm very pleased that he moved backed to lovely Yorkshire and started painting those wonderful landscapes. I was instantly drawn to them, as you are drawn towards a source of heat on a cold winter day. The paintings sing with energy and bright colours. I would really want one on my wall. (When I win the lottery, perhaps!)


The whole family went to see the exhibition at the Royal Academy in London in March. The exhibition has apparently been a phenomenal success with long queues every day. The Academy even extendened their opening hours till midninght during weekends to accomodate the huge interest. We went there a late Saturday afternoon, when the queues were bearable - it took us less than half an hour to get in. We spent quite a long time in there, letting ourselves be amazed by the majesty of the paintings and after a while it felt almost as if we were walking in the paintings themselves. The most fabulous thing, however, happened when we walked out of the Academy. There we were - 4 people - all talking enthusiastically about what we'd just seen and how we'd all noticed different aspects of the paintings. We very rarely talk about art at all, normally.



My fascination with Hockney really started last year. Whilst shopping for Christmas presents I saw a book called David Hockney: My Yorkshire at Waterstones in York. I promptly bought a copy as a present for myself. It consists of two interviews with the artist, mainly about his recent landscape paintings. The second interview also talks about the way he has embraced new technology and makes pictures on his iPhone and iPad. Some of what he says is actually true for most of us, regardless of which occupation we hold - whether you are an artist or a librarian (as I am). He says: "it's not that I'm a technophile. I'm not, I never was, but I'm not a technophobe. Anything about picture-making would interest me. Any technology about picture-making." (p.58) I think this is such a healthy approach to the increasing amount of technology that surrounds us all. Explore it and look for ways it can enhance your work, or your life for that matter. I think it is this attitude that makes his art so fresh and new. He is simply not repeating himself. Hockney is in his mid-70s. That's an example to be followed by all of us. To never stop looking at the world in new and fresh ways.

Nordnorsk Kunstmuseum in my hometown Tromsø has recently bought one of his paintings and is opening  an exhibiton of his motives from Nothern Norway this summer. Looking forward to that:-)


Livingstone, Marco (red.): David Hockney: My Yorkshire. London: Enitharmon, 2011.

No comments: