Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 May 2013

Books 2013: A Streetcat Named Bob

After finishing with Knausgård's 6 volumes, I needed something different. And I must admit, I only bought James Bowen's book because I adore cats. Which, I suppose is the key message of his book. Would I have bothered to read a book about a recovering drug addict without a cat? I fear not.

The book isn't exactly Shakespeare. The story is told in a simple, and surprisingly unsentimental way. It's not a book that makes you cry. If anyhting, this story will make you slightly ashamed of yourself, if you're anything like me.


If you haven't already heard about this bestseller, it's about how the author, James, meets a homeless cat, Bob, and how they stay together and help each other. Bob is truly helping James get a sense of meaning in his life, if we are to believe the story. Which I do.

As I said, it's not a literary masterpiece. But it really made me think about all the people we see, or rather not see around us. Not just Big Issue-sellers in bigger cities, but everyone else who might have problems in their lives. People we choose not to see. It can be anyone from a lonely colleague to a newly arrived immigrant.

I often buy The Big Issue or the Norwegian equivalent. But equally often I pass by. Because I don't have any change or time to stop. But I never really reflect over the person behind the 'seller' and why he is there. Bowen writes about being more or less invisible before he got Bob. Bob made people stop and give him money. People tended to ask, 'How's Bob doing today?' Which I think is a good quality in people. But it should be extended to incude humans, too. The last thing we want is homeless and other unfortunate people getting pets, so we will notice them.

These are thoughts I got from reading this book. Which in a way makes it a success in my view. If it can make more people think the same thoughts as I, the book has done something good. I wish James Bowen and Bob all the happiness they deserve. I follow them on Facebook and apparently they're both doing fine at the moment!

No comments: